To install Macro Recorder on Windows:
- Download the installation file.
- Double-click the installation file and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Double-click the program file to launch Macro Recorder.
- If you purchased a license, register your license key.
The installation program can be launched with the command line parameter /SILENT, /VERYSILENT, /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES whcih instructs setup to be silent or very silent. When Setup is silent the wizard and the background window are not displayed but the installation progress window is. When a setup is very silent this installation progress window is not displayed. Everything else is normal so for example error messages during installation are displayed (more info).
Installation requires administrative rights. If you cannot obtain admin rights, consider using the portable edition:
To run Macro Recorder from a USB thumb drive:
- Download the Portable Edition.
- Extract the ZIP archive contents into any file directory on your portable device.
- Launch "MacroRecorder.exe" from the USB device.
- If you have purchased a license key, register your USB thumb drive installation.
The portable mode is indicated in the Macro Recorder title bar.
Portable mode can be enforced by command-line parameter -portable.
Always shut down Macro Recorder before unplugging the USB drive to prevent data loss!
To install Macro Recorder on a Mac:
Important macOS configuration
Macro Recorder must be configured in macOS to provide its service:
- Open the macOS System Preferences » "Security".
- Click the "Privacy" tab and unlock the padlock in the lower left.
- On the left, click section "Files and Folders" and enable the Option "Document Folder" underneath the Macro Recorder entry to enable Macro Recorder to store macro recording files on your Mac.
- On the left, click section "Accessibility" and add Macro Recorder to the list of programs to enable Macro Recorder to automate the mouse and keyboard:
- On the left, click section "Automation" and enable the Option "System events" underneath the Macro Recorder entry to enable Macro Recorder automating program window focus, position and size. MacOS may require confirmation for each program you automate with Macro Recorder.
- Optionally click section "Full disk access" and add Macro Recorder to the list of programs if you wish, that Macro Recorder can save files on your Mac.
- On the left, click section "Screen Recording" and add Macro Recorder to the list of programs to enable Macro Recorder recording the visual background of mouse clicks and detecting the current program window input focus:
MacOS may require to uncheck and check above setting again for each Macro Recorder software update. IMPORTANT: If such re-confirmation of the privacy setting is required, you must exit Macro Recorder before re-applying the checkmark in macOS privacy setting as otherwise mouse clicks may not work anymore for unknown reasons. In such case, press the power button for a couple of seconds to perform a system reset. In some cases, you would need to delete the Macro Recorder entry and manually add it again using the + and - buttons.
Newer Macro Recorder versions can be safely installed over an existing installation.
Older versions cannot read data files created with newer versions, as the file format needs to be updated to support new features.